What started as camaraderie in the H-Rank of the sax section of the Redcoat Band began to evolve. The highs and lows of UGA football in the late 1990s, all from the vista of section 112 of Sanford Stadium; a familiar face in a large Business Statistics or Marketing class; bump-ins at parties. Next thing I knew, four years had passed and, low and behold, we happened to be sitting near each other as we earned our undergraduate diplomas in the spring of 1998.
About a year after that, I finally had the courage to suggest to her that “we get together to catch up and hang out”. It was easily one of the best decisions of my life. Dating followed, even with a year apart as she studied and attained her Masters degree back in Athens. Towards the start of the aughts, intros and name-droppings started to include both of our names more often than just one or the other. I’m not sure the exact date, time, or locale, but it seemed pretty obvious that I had something so good in her that I didn’t want to let it go. Ever.
The blessing was obtained from her family. The ring was purchased, and delivered in a manner that was as surprising as it was heart-felt and true to us. 15 months of planning followed (hey, that’s how we roll!), with our sights set on June 21, 2003 as our wedding day.
I’ll always remember how she looked coming down the aisle of the church and our vows that warm June evening. Such an awesome day, despite missing my brother serving in Iraq that day and not getting any cake, save our initial piece exchange!
A trip-of-a-lifetime followed to Bora Bora, and then milestones came fast and furious. Purchasing our first house in Aug. 2003, Herschel in Feb. 2004, and the official start of our family with Zachary’s arrival in May 2005. Since then, we’ve welcomed Liam loving into our fold in Feb. 2008 and continue to enjoy watching them learn and grow into the fine men I hope and pray they will become someday.
After eight “official” years together, it’s still the little things that make it special for me. The way she carries on the finest character traits of her mother and grandfather. The way she has seamlessly fit into the sometimes loony cast of characters known as the Cahills. Her willingness to compromise on most anything. Her love of UGA football. The handing over of the remote when nothing is on to let me pick something to watch. Taking care of all non-driving car duties on road trips (which cannot be overstated with two young boys). Setting a loving and caring example to our children, even when I get so angry at them that I have to leave the room before blowing a gasket. Keeping our family on schedule despite both of us working full time. Loving a lug like me and being my best friend.
Happy Anniversary Rebecca! I love you!
2 comments:
Great post!
Happy Anniversary!
Here's to many more years of togetherness for a very special couple. Love You
Post a Comment